Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 21, 2013

WalMart Neighborhood Market - Review

I have been highly critical - rightly so - of Publix grocery stores and I'm constantly searching for better alternative businesses to shop. I have moved most of my supermarket shopping to WalMart supercenters, which in my area, there are many and many more soon to come. However, there are also WalMart "neighborhood markets" which "supplement the vastly larger supercenters. I went into one today for the first time. It is located right off US19 in Pinellas Park, FL.

First off, I would tell whomever runs this division of Wal-Mart - and this applies to the grocery section of the supercenters - to change everything that is black to white. That's the ceiling, which makes the interior look dark, dismal and somewhat creepy and most definitely the meat packages. For me and others I've talked to, there is something negatively psychological about black meat packages. That is the #1 reason I do not buy WalMart meat. At this WalMart neighborhood market there would be no exception.

The one item that I still buy at Publix is their meat. The quality is excellent and all the packages - meat, chicken and fish are white. The coolers are white. It is bright, airy and everything looks fresh - which it is. This is not the case with either Wal-Mart or the neighborhood market I was in. I do not want to sound dramatic, but some of the meat at WalMart market was disgusting. Discolored and (way to) bloody were the two black packages I saw and decided not to get any closer for health reasons. If I could have called a health inspector to come down and see what I saw, I would have.

On the other side of the store, in between where the shampoo is located, there were a cart of returned chicken "defrosting" in the aisles. The boxes were discolored because of the defrosted product inside. At this point, I almost walked out. I needed milk and a few other items that were far off from the meat area - I could not find packaged frankfurters - located them then checked out. I was curious if this "neighborhood" store is a separate division from WalMart, but the cashier said they were one in the same. She was very pleasant and like many other WalMart employees did her job well.

The prices here were somewhat lower than Publix or other places I've been. The shelves were well stocked, everything else appeared fresh and checking the dates on some items, nothing was past it's sell date. The brand of dog food I purchase was higher prices than other stores and they did not have the canned version. If you are a regular shopper here, finding certain products, like the hot dogs, is probably easy, but I gave up confused in the overly large (and dark) frozen food section.

The meat thing is the closer for me. Unless that changes, actually completely revamped, I seriously doubt I would return to this store. I would also not buy meat, chicken or pork at the larger WalMart supercenter. I typically go to Publix - and will continue to do so - for a large london broil (11.99) which I BBQ and chopped meat (about $13) once a week along with different varities of fish. I am not a fan of chicken. Quite frankly, I don't even know where fresh fish is sold at WalMart and it is not on my list of things to find out. I have purchased frozen fish there under the Sam's label and it was good.

So, in terms of recommending a place for meat, Publix gets five stars - WalMart doesn't even get one. They just have to clean up their "meat" act - that includes drastically improving the freshness and appearance of the products they sell. Again, I dispise black packaging. That's fine for just about anything other than meat, sausage, chicken, etc. And, the more labels WalMart sticks on the packaging - the more I have to read or think about the purchase - the less I like it. Keep it simple. Sure I care about the price, but the freshness, its appearance, the sell by dates and the overall quality of the "presentation" of the product is what makes me want to put the item in my shopping cart.

I certainly hope someone at WalMart listens.






Print Friendly and PDF
Print Friendly and PDF