Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 29, 2011

Huh?

imagesHuh? Where did this "term" come from? I wonder if the French, Brits, Chinese or Italians have a version of "huh" in their language. I hope not. I don't even think it is a word, but more a guttural sound from a person not even minimally interested in presenting themselves in a confident positive way. I hear anyone use this “term” and as far as I’m concerned the bells and whistles of “this person is stupid” go right off. It is a completely negative trigger word that a lazy individual uses versus excuse me or can you please repeat, or even sorry, I didn’t hear that.

For those who like trivia, the technical definition of “huh” (it’s an interjection?) is a grunt, articulated as a syllabic, uttered with a range of intonations, used to express confusion. The first “recorded” use of “huh” was back in 1608, no doubt by some uneducated serf who didn’t know any better. Shame on him – or her. Perhaps that person was worked at some local tavern and an “outsider” – someone from several villages over – asked for a cold beer or something and the response was “huh” – and not bl-eye-me, sir, just what did ya arder? “Huh” was just a lot easier.

Huh and customer service do not go together, at all. My last post had my son and I at Wing House in search of our French fries. Today, we got the "huh" from the emaciated girl taking food orders at a place called Jason's Deli. They claim to be "Celebrating 35 Years". As with the many other establishments we try, I, with rare exceptions, find it surprising that these businesses last 6 months, let alone years. There should be an electronic buzzer attached to fast food servers when they say “huh”.  The tavern owner back in 1610 should have hit the first user of “huh”with a skillet over the head. That just might have ended it there for good. Now, unfortunately, “huh” is even used by supervisors and managers. It is symptomatic of the destruction of any class remaining in our communication. I can live with LOL, the use of “2” and not two, or to, or too and even calling someone “Gaga” but certainly not “huh”.

We, as customers, have to look past the “huh” – the primary product, the food that is, has to outshine the “term” and the employees using it.

Print Friendly and PDF
Print Friendly and PDF